Friday 18 December 2015

How to Stay Healthy and Fit During the Holidays

How to Stay Healthy and Fit During the Holidays.


I know that this is the time where many people slack out on their healthy eating because it's the end of the year and it's the holidays. It is also the time of the year where people get anxious and feel guilty over dinner parties. I can definitely understand and relate to that. We are surrounded with food 24/7, we are surrounded with good people and celebrations every day. Some people will restrict themselves before and after the holidays so that they can "make up for it." Some people will just throw their fitness journals away and think, "I'll just start over next year."  But wait, that would mean that your one year of effort has all gone to waste. I know because I am guilty of all those things. The cycle seems endless. However, over the years, I have learned how to maintain healthy without restricting during the holidays. It is not impossible to still stay healthy and fit whiles enjoying every bit of the holiday.

Here are some of my tips:

  1. Drink water. Drink a litre of water right after you wake up. Seriously, it helps. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day because it is so important yet so basic that we often forget.
  2. Stay active. You don't have to miss out 2 hours of family fun to go to the gym. Go on a walk with your dog or your siblings, decorate the tree, play in the snow, go on a Christmas hike. Those are all the fun stuff you can plan for the whole family to enjoy during the holidays!
  3. Fill the table with good food. Have fruits and vegetables, keep yourself full with those foods first. Once you are satisfied (but not too full because you would want to leave some room for desserts #wink), have a taste of the indulgent ones, like cakes, cookies and puddings. It's all about balance. You don't have to choose the smallest dessert or the one with fewer calories. Instead, have all of them in small portions. I would take some on my plate and have a bite of each. If I don't like it, I won't have another bite of it and move on to the next. If I like it, I would finish my piece and be satisfied. If you are still not satisfied then have another piece. Do not restrict yourself because when you restrict, you are more likely going to binge later on plus it's the holidays, have some fun! Keep everything in moderation. If you are still craving some sweets late at night or just feel like eating because everyone is, then what I like to do is to have some fruits because they really make me satisfied. 
  4. LET GO. Yes, you heard me. Let go. Let go of the calculator that is counting the calories in your head, let go of the guilt you still feel for the previous meal, let go of the anxiety for the next big dinner party, let go of the worries and just enjoy the time with your family. It's only once in a year that you get to spend quality time with your family and friends. This is the season to be thankful, blessed, and happy. Do not bottle yourself up with worries, anxiety, and guilt. It's not worth it. So what if you had some cake? So what if you had seconds and thirds for dinner? Our life goal is to be happy. Being fit and lean are down on the list. As long as you are happy, who cares? 

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday !

hugs and kisses


No comments :

Post a Comment